Tuesday, July 15, 2008

First Day: Welcome to EMT Bootcamp

It is 12:30 am on the second day of classes, and I am happy but exhausted. It's been pretty overwhelming being thrown into this whole new group of people. but class keeps me too busy to really mind. This is my daily schedule:

8am breakfast

8:30-12:00 pm- class. We have all been split up into groups, and the class stays together with its instructors all day every day. We really lucked out with all 3 of our instructors, who are all pretty funny. We have about 20 people in the class, I think, from the US, Canada, England, and Holland. One of the most important rules here is being on time, since it is unacceptable to be late for a real shift. Anyone who arrived past 8:30 on the dot had to stand outside, and the instructors (I think) keep a list of who is late and how often. One funny fact- one of my instructors is a Penn student my year. Its pretty funny to have her be in charge of me, though I think we both know she can't really boss me around.

12pm: lunch..... I'm pretty sure it is the same, half-eatable food every day.

1pm-6pm: more class

6pm: dinner- see above.

7-9: class.

That's right, we have 11.5 hours of class a day. We get little 15 minute breaks every once in a while, but it is a very long day. At the same time, I am definitely interested in what we have learned so far:

Infant, Child, Adult CPR, with and without equipment
Infant, Child, Adult choking, conscious and not
How to evaluate a scene
Patient Assessment
Vital Signs
Diabetes
Epilepsy/Seizures
Febrile Seizures
Stroke
Fainting
States of Unconsciousness
Electrocution
Poisoning
Hanging (no joke)
Respiratory system and related emergencies
Cardiovascular system and related emergencies

It's alot, and it has only been 2 days! I have a midterm day after tomorrow, but that seems like a million years from now.

All right, I am exhausted and will go to bed. Tomorrow I will post about the people, the environment etc. I miss you guys and thanks for the comments :)

Sarah

1 comment:

Mike said...

states of unconsciousness!? that sounds awesome! (as does really everything else about this post)