Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Adjusting to Ashdod

I know it has been while since my last post- sorry! I'm sure anyone reading this knows I have a teensy little problem with procrastination. I will try to be better!

The past week hasn't been the best. I'm still living with my family in Ashdod right now, though I think I'm moving out at some unknown time. Obviously, I love my family and appreciate having them around. At the same time, it is pretty stressful. My aunt and uncle have a certain way of doing things, and its been tough trying to figure that out and keep up. I usually mess something up daily. I don't want to overstay my welcome. and I feel as though living here every day for the enxt two and a half weeks would do that. I've been trying to move into the Absorption center, buts it has been impossible to get through allthe red tape and actually reach the people in charge. Hopefully that will happen soon!

I will be honest- I don't really love the people I am here with. In fact, the only way I am staying sane is by occasionally tagging along with my cousin. I usually have no trouble making new friends. Somehow, though, I ended up in Ashdod with 8 other people, none of whom I have any interest in spending time with. Maybe its just bad luck, or maybe my standards for people are too high. All I know is that, socially, this is not working out how I wanted! I have an amazing group of friends back at school, and I love going out with them and spending time with the people around me. I've been doing almost everything here alone, which is making me pretty homesick. Its especially sad knowing that Israel has this great night life that I'm not taking advantage of at all! I can't go out in the US for another 10 months, and here I am with an 18+ drinking age and I spend my free time online.

I am determined, though, to make the best of my situation. Moving into the absorption center will force me to spend less time on my computer, which is good. Even if I'm not loving the people, I feel like I need to give them more of a chance and not just avoid them by using the computer.

The one great thing about life in Ashdod is the beach. I've been going on my own, which isn't as fun as with friends, but I love the water and just sitting back on the sand. I had a night shift last night (more about shifts in the next post!), and I napped by the waves this morning. It was heavenly.

Part of me wishes I had chosen to stay in Haifa. I had a really tough time choosing between the two cities. Ultimately, I decided it would be wise to stay near my family in Ashdod. The absorption centers in both cities weren't great, but Ashdod's was closer to the beach. I figured my Russian would be useful in Ashdod, which it is (almost all the patients are elderly russians). Still, the girl I would have roomed with in Haifa is this great girl named Sarah, who also goes to Penn. It would have been so much fun having someone to hang out with and go out with. She at first was worried about the people in Haifa, but now she says she is really enjoying them. I can't help but think how great it would be to live and work with this great and fun group of people.

Anyone who knows me well knows I am TERRIBLE at making any kinds of decisions. Choosing from different options is truly my biggest weakness. I spent so much time yo-yo-ing between Haifa and Ashdod, and it is completely within my personality to sit here and think of how I made the wrong decision. I guess I need to suck it up, focus on the positive, and hope it all works out for the best!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah!
Hey! Te extraño mucho!

It totally sucks not having awesome people there to spend time with, but hang in there! Maybe someone from the group will end up being miraculously a lot of fun. And of course, you have the right attitude to make the most of this. I think things will fall into place. You're doing everything right. It will get better!

The beach sounds amazing. So relaxing and peaceful. Pictures?? :)

Love,
Kels